Youth Unemployment: How can we address the ‘Missing Million’?
Wednesday, 05 October 2011
The Work Foundation, 21 Palmer Street, London SW1H 0AD
- Ian Brinkley, centre director, The Work Foundation
- Alice Holland, apprentice, Landmark Training and The Work Foundation
- Julie Hutchinson, Director of Employment and Skills, East London Business Alliance
- Baroness Steadman-Scott, Chief Executive, Tomorrow's People
- Pat Russell, Deputy Director, Young People and Employment Division, Department for Work and Pensions
There are now nearly one million young people unemployed in the UK – the unemployment rate amongst 16-24 year olds is the highest since records began. And although the recession has exacerbated the problem, it was on an upwards trend since the early 2000s – even while the economy was growing.
This ‘Missing Million’ from the labour market are an important problem for the UK - not because youth unemployment causes riots, but because it can trigger the start of a lifetime of unemployment for young people, not to mention the damage to the UK economy as a whole.
We know that the recovery will be driven by the private sector. We also know that businesses-led initiatives are vital in ensuring quality and skilled employment is available to these hard to reach groups. But how do we get there?
This event will bring together a forward thinking group of business leaders, innovative individuals and young people to tackle the youth unemployment problem head-on. We will ask them to offer their insights and introduce The Work Foundation’s new employer-led and solutions-focussed programme of enquiry.
- What measures can be taken now to address the problem of youth unemployment and how can the UK move to a longer-term model with lower levels of youth unemployment?
- How can local institutions (businesses, local services and education providers) work together more effectively to tackle this problem
- What is the role for business in addressing this important challenge?
In October 2010, Lancaster University acquired The Work Foundation, forming a new alliance that enables both organisations to further enhance their impact
Back to forthcoming