Cities 2020 is our research programme dedicated to investigating the drivers of urban growth over the next decade.
The research is aiming to answer the following questions:
- What will the geography of the recovery look like over the next decade?
- What factors will enable cities to be socially and economically sustainable during the economic recovery and the period to 2020?
- What must policy makers do now to ensure success in 2020?
Research areas include:
- High-growth firms: How can cities best support the development of more high-growth firms?
- Innovation: How can cities enhance their innovation capacity?
- Low skills: What is the impact of a shift towards a more knowledge-intensive economy on those with low or no skills? What can be done?
- Demand for graduates: How can employers be encouraged to make better use of graduate skills in cities?
- City leadership: How can local areas build leadership capacity? How can cities use their business leaders to harness growth?